Wlotzkasbaken, Namibia (2012). Digital Pigment Print, 90 x 60 cm, Edition of 3 + 2AP
On the desert coast of Namibia, Wlotzkasbaken was originally used by coachman and trader Paul Wlotzka as a halfway stop for water and food, circa 1915. The Wlotzka houses, originally recycled from shipping crates and often used as vacation homes, belong to a select class of mainly white Namibians who pride themselves on isolation and simplicity. Generous space both links and establishes distance between the houses. The virtually invisible boundaries strongly signify ‘separateness’, without actual physical impediment to access.